Forum home The potting shed

Is there a word that pushes your buttons?

• BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,479
    Fundamentally, that's super accurate @punkdoc
  • Exponentially, as in "X is exponentially more than Y". If you know what the word Exponential means you can see that the sentence does not make sense. Whats wrong with "X is much more than Y"?
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 2,100
    Gutted. One of the branches on my new rose was broken by the wind, I am utterly gutted. I have to adore the alliteration (or is it a consonance?) but c'mon, really? Devastating.
  • SendmesunSendmesun Scotland Posts: 54
    Issues. There are some issues with the garden. Issues , could you be more specific? Some issues have come to our attention with the borders. Mostly used in a work emails argh. 
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,596
    There’s been a big uptick in issues year on year.
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 1,690
    Putting 'go ahead' before stating what one is going to do.  
  • robairdmacraignilrobairdmacraignil CorkPosts: 582
    I'm usually OK with single words but there are a couple of two word phrases that I really dislike. I think the one "no brainer" became very annoying when it was used in some repetitive radio add that said buying some product was a "no brainer" decision when it simply wasn't the obviously correct choice the phrase might imply.

The other one that gets to be very irritating when used by some people more than others is the "you know" which is stuck into obscure places in sentences when people not knowing what they are going to say struggle to get their ideas in order before continuing. The most annoying are the professional presenters and other types of spokes people who make a simple couple of sentences last an age and make a lot less sense by multiple "you knows". I have seen the occasional speaker who expands this in to "you know what I mean" and it makes some sense to me that someone might try ask if their message is being taken in but to repeat "you know" over and over in a situation where no response from the people being spoken to is looked for just sounds presumptions and lacking in basic communication skills to me.