Forum home The potting shed

Is there a word that pushes your buttons?

B3B3 Posts: 27,327
Adorable:

Cuddly toys
Babies
Houses
Dresses
Shoes
Puppies
Kittens
Etc etc
I'm pretty sure it's a girl word but I have never and never will in my life adore anything.
Is there a word that does it for you?
In London. Keen but lazy.

• raisingirlraisingirl Posts: 7,080
    I'm not sure what you mean?
    Gardening on the edge of Exmoor, in Devon

“It's still magic even if you know how it's done.” 
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,327
    Would a bloke describe a puppy as adorable? It's a gender specific adjective. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,016
    French men would but the pronunciation is different.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FireFire Posts: 18,973
    "Henry adored his wife" . Seems fair enough to me.
  • BenCottoBenCotto Posts: 4,687
    Buttons. Starting a topic with a single word and then elaborating. That’s just one more modern linguistic fad that irritates me.
    Rutland, England
  • hatty123hatty123 Posts: 125
    edited May 2021
    One of the directors at work is overfond of the word "fundamentally". It's not an irritating word in itself, it's just that everytime he talks to me, at some point I switch off and start counting how many "fundamentally"s he's used!
    @BenCotto. I was setting out my stall.

Would you adore a cuddly toy? Has the word  changed its meaning?
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,016
    @Pansyface - "gobsmacked" and "going forward" immediately sprang to mind followed by "jungle garden" till I got beyond the title and realised we're after "positivity".

Rumbledethumps - never cooked it or eaten as I canna thole swede but it does sound lovely.  
    Librocubularist is a word I've recently learned and I shall use it next time OH mutters about me staying in bed and reading when it's cold or wet.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Oooh I'm one of them! Don't think I could say it though😕

Tried Sainsbury's rumbledethumps  - disappointing but had potential if you made it yourself. Swede is an underrated vegetable. Swede soup, swede with butter and black pepper, swede and potato mash Swede mixed with the bits stuck to the bottbom of a  roasting tin😋
    Swede chips coated in parmesan . Don't bother.