Forum home Fruit & veg

What weed is this

pclark42pclark42 Frolesworth, EnglandPosts: 101

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 132
    Not sure but could be a form of Alkanet ?  If so, it is a spreader with long thick roots.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 68,132
    Green alkanet ... a rampant spreader and one of the very few plants I’d call a right PITA 😠 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• dpatel2130dpatel2130 Posts: 147
    Green Alkanet. Only other day while walking found growing everywhere so checked on Google lens and come up as G A. 
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 132
    Green alkanet ... a rampant spreader and one of the very few plants I’d call a right PITA 😠 
    A rather more polite term than I am using these days ;)
  • pclark42pclark42 Frolesworth, EnglandPosts: 101
    It will be zapped in the morning then
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,941
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 618
    But don't dismiss it as the pollinators love it.
    Control it but don't get rid off it totally.
    We need as many insects in our gardens to pollinate so many plants.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,080
    If you have a rough area with some shade it makes an excellent ground cover that flowers for months. it even manages to out compete ground elder.
  • Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 579
    Agree with @bertrand-mabel and @Skandi. It’s always full of bees and other pollinators and is a lovely shade of blue. If you cut the flower stems back when finished it will reduce the risk of it self seeding and you’ll get another flush of flowers, we do this two or three times each year.
    Yes it is vigorous and will self-seed around if you let it but is great ground cover and easily smothers other weeds. We had loads of it when we moved in here but have got it under control and now enjoy it in a couple of areas which are currently a sea of blue flowers at the moment.
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • SlipperyElmSlipperyElm Posts: 162
    Don't let it seed, pretty as the flowers are, or you'll regret it, it'll spread everywhere.  The roots are long, black, tough and very hard to shift.  I've never found it outcompeting ground elder.  The two seem perfectly happy together.