Forum home Problem solving

Is this scutch grass?

Hi.  I've a few patches of odd looking grass in my lawn. I thought they were scutch grass but read mention of bentgrass looking similar. Can anyone tell from my photos what this is? Thanks

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,624
    I don't know scutch grass but it's certainly not your lawn grass. There are many coarse "weed grasses" but without flower heads it's hard to say which it might be. Bents are fine grasses, sometimes included in fine lawn grass mixes. I would hoik it out before it spreads, if I were you. If it leaves a big gap you can fill it in with a bit of soil and grass seed to match your lawn.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,515
    Is scutch grass couch grass? If the answer’s yes then the answer’s no (if you can work that one out).
  • Thanks. Yes couch grass was what I had in mind. I've seen it referred to as scutch grass.

I've got a good few patches of this over my lawn. If not couch grass, any idea what it is? And is it any "less serious" than couch grass?

I've been spot killing patches of it for the last 2 years. But still. It remains. I'm wondering if my only realistic solution is to kill entire lawn and start again? 
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 3,602
    In theory,  if you get the lawn growing strongly and cut  very regularly (at least weekly), the course grass will die and the finer grasses will take over.  Note the first two words though. 
    AB Still learning

• BiljeBilje Posts: 565
    I get that grass on borders, as far as I recall it has a central rooting system and comes out reasonably easily. Couch. Grass is coarser and generally has more upright leaves. It’s roots are the problem, long thin tough rhizomes. If you leave a bit in it will regrow, it’s a thug! 
    Try coring the unwanted grass out with a sharp knife and refilling as JennyJ suggested.
  • Thanks for the advice! I'll stick with this lawn for another while so. Hopefully I can get rid of this thicker grass completely.