Forum home Fruit & veg

Sweetcorn

Hi  please help.

I tried to grow sweetcorn but it died off wondered if anyone can help so my next attempt is successful.

I started in seed trays each seed in its own section.

It germinated and the plant grew a good 2 inches and started to lean over. I then very gently (or at least I thought I had) transferred to bigger ceramic pots, but they died off. Anyone know why this might have happened and would I be better off planting the seeds in very large pot.  My intention was to keep them in big pots as have tiny garden. Thank you.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,373
    Not sure this is the best choice for a tiny garden... sweetcorn is pollinated by the wind and is usually planted in blocks to get the best chance of pollination. No pollination, no corn. They grow quite tall and I would imagine it would take a lot of watering to keep them happy in pots. There might not be much room for anything else either!
    I'm not an expert, I haven't even planted my seeds yet, as it has been too cold here, but I will do them in the next week or so and intend to use a module tray so they are easy to move on.
    If yours were leaning they may have been short of light - did you turn them every day? It can be hard early in the year to get the balance right and every year is different. Mine will go in the greenhouse as soon as they are through, but I may have to suspend them from the roof to keep them away from the mice, they've already had one lot of beans!
    It's not too late to have another go, if you think you can meet their needs, but there are easier crops to choose. If you just like sweetcorn though, good luck :)
  • EmptyheadtimeEmptyheadtime Posts: 4
    I used to sow my sweetcorn in root trainers indoors before transplanting outside when it was warmer. As said above they should be planted in blocks not rows, so they get pollinated, but i believe you could pollinate them by hand if you wanted to keep them in pots. I used to plant blocks of 5 by 5 plants but never really got a good crop so gave up after about 3 years/attempts and use the space for other crops now, i dont think we have the best climate in Ireland for sweetcorn.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 5,024
    Yes, because you transplanted them,you don't need to do it. They were far too small to be touched. I sow 2 corn in each section,which is recommended in case one doesn't germinate. But yes they do take up a lot of room. You need to sow in a square because they are pollinated by wind not insects. They also get to 2mt no problems. Will give you a picture of mine getting on for 8 inches
  • Thank you very much😃.

At how many weeks would you wait before transplanting them. I'm new at growing anything other than cress. Maybe bitten off more than I can chew, as the saying goes. 
  • Thank you everyone.

I may be asking for help with other items in near future.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 5,024
    I took this picture a few days ago, they are more like 12 inches. They will be hardened off for a week outside in the day,then a week night as well final planting position 1st June assuming weather forecast doesn't mention frost. Ask away!