Forum home Problem solving

Help me with unknown spreading problem with driveway

Hi everyone,

Really in need of some help here. I have this 'stuff' spreading across our stone driveway. It seemed to have started out in/around some standing water by a recessed manhole and over a few weeks it spread outwards, before I had to try and get rid of it.

When the area is wet is when this seems to thrive and spread, and it seems dormant on dry areas, however under the stones is rarely dry and quite often damp. I have been hoping warmer weather would help but seemingly the UK doesn't want to get warm this year......

It is hard to describe. When it is dry it looks/feels fluffy and feathery, and comes apart quite easily in your hand. When it is wet, it is more slimy. 

I have searched the internet and have not come across any other images that look like this. The closest thing I found was Nostoc algae, however it doesn't really look like any of the pictures of that and none of the solutions for that have worked.

I have tried the following, but nothing has even worked in the slightest:
Weed killer
blow torch
lifting up all the stones and cleaning them with a jet washer
sodium carbonate(diluted in water)
copper carbonate(diluted in water)
algae and fungus killer
mould and mildew remover
white vinegar
covering the area for a few weeks with a tarp

Does anyone have any ideas of what this might be and/or how to tackle it? 

Appreciate any help anyone can give:

Regards, 

Adam

• Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 186
    I would make sure it isn't 'leakage' from the manhole!
  • aemossyaemossy Posts: 3
    I would make sure it isn't 'leakage' from the manhole!
    Well I have lifted the manhole cover a few times to check under, and I couldn't see any noticeable leakage. It is not blocked, and the waste pipes are about 1metre lower than ground level. I couldn't see anything growing up the internal walls either. 
  • Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 186
    I would keep an eye on it after heavy rain. Sometimes the drains can't cope with too much water if there is a partial blockage downstream.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 9,227
    Certainly looks like crud from a drain.
    Too many hands in too many pockets
    Not enough hands on hearts
    Too many ready to call it a day
    Before the day starts
  • aemossyaemossy Posts: 3
    I would keep an eye on it after heavy rain. Sometimes the drains can't cope with too much water if there is a partial blockage downstream.

There has been occasions where the drain has been blocked, but the water/waste level is never at the surface and I can't see how it can then affect my driveway.
  • stephentamestephentame Southwest EnglandPosts: 142
    It's definitely alien - call NASA immediately  ;)