Forum home Plants

Clematis root protector

KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,735
All of our Clematis are planted along a path, and the base is fully exposed to the sun.  I've looked at terracotta root protectors, but they are £25 each, too pricey.  Does anyone have any tips on how to shade the bases?  There isn't room to cluster plant pots around each plant, so whatever it is would have to be fairly slim and unobtrusive.

• owd potterowd potter teapot townPosts: 833
    Roof tiles. Old or new. Available in different colours 
    Just another day at the plant...
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555
    They don't need protecting if they have enough moisture in the soil.   I would suggest a thorough soaking of all their roots and then a good mulch of well-rotted manure or garden compost or a mix which will then retain the moisture as well as provide nutrients.   

The terracotta and other stone or slate "protectors" would just provide cover for slugs and snails to hide under by day and slimesters think new clematis shoots are caviar.  I tend to grow other plants around the feet of my clematis to provide some ground cover.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,179
    Plenty of water, then organic mulch ... mulch ... mulch ...  :D
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,582
    I dig large flints & cobbles out of my garden on a regular basis and reuse the nicest ones for edging borders where soil is likely to spill over paths, shingle etc. They could be laid in a ring around the clematis stem to provide shade and could look quite nice. You can buy bags of river cobbles if your garden doesn't supply them.

Failing that I'd go with Dove's suggestion.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,735
    They are well mulched, and watered, so maybe I am just worrying over nothing.  Thanks all.
  • KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,535
    Some clematis do prefer the base to be in shade but something as simple as a broken plant pot inverted over it, or the roof tile suggested above will do the job.  Certainly no need to spend 25 quid on a solution.  That the sort of thing sold in the posh garden centre we were at earlier today!
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Roof tiles work for me, but I do check behind them. I tend to grow plants in front of my clems, so the base doesn't get too much sun.