Forum home Problem solving

Lime tree help please for a newbie

amypughamypugh Posts: 3
edited 3 May in Problem solving
Hi forum,
My first post. To say I went wild in the first lockdown and have picked up a new hobby is an understatement. Most of my garden is getting there, but sadly my lime tree is not having fun - all about learning right? 
Attaching a before and after pics. I moved it indoors in the winter. The leaves fell off, and I reintroduced it outdoors. I have pruned. The scratch test shows green life. Any advice to improve its condition would be welcomed. 
Am I missing something? 
Best, Amy 

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,631
    Sorry to be the barer of bad tidings,  but it didn't need a prune. You look to have cut most of the growing limbs off. Even if they loose leaves completely, they will grow back on the same stems. The change of temperature is probably what caused the leaf drop. They need above 10° constantly, but not dry air, which is why sitting them on stones in a dish is best, also easy to see if they have enough water too. At the end of May put it outside and ignore it except for the odd watering, until you see growth and if you get some you can continue from there.
  • amypughamypugh Posts: 3
    Oh dear :( Thank you for your help. Fingers crossed it makes a come back. 
  • For further reference my lime tree always looses quite a lot of leaves in winter but the second spring starts to appears it puts of loads of new growth.
    Also don’t put it outside until late May...too cold otherwise.
    hopefully it bounces back.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 5,147
    I don't have lime but half a dozen other citrus. Under 10c they loose leaves. They need humidity,I know people who have put them in a central heated lounge and wondered why they aren't happy.Why did you decide to cut branches off  I can't see any green on the branches,but my oldest daughter had one, she hadn't looked after, gave it to me, at one time it looked dreadful, was going,left outside and bounced back.Get online read up about their care, they are usually really expensive,you don't want to lose it
  • amypughamypugh Posts: 3
    I don't have lime but half a dozen other citrus. Under 10c they loose leaves. They need humidity,I know people who have put them in a central heated lounge and wondered why they aren't happy.Why did you decide to cut branches off  I can't see any green on the branches,but my oldest daughter had one, she hadn't looked after, gave it to me, at one time it looked dreadful, was going,left outside and bounced back.Get online read up about their care, they are usually really expensive,you don't want to lose it
    Hi, thank you for your message! The branches were looking really bad when I decided to prune. Read lots online about cutting off struggling branches. The ones I left were low down or green (not so clear on the pic)! Really don’t want to lose it so hoping it bounces back!! Am going to leave it outside and cross my fingers :) 
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 5,147
    Make the fingers you cross are green!