Forum home The potting shed

What is this plant?

Ferdinand2000Ferdinand2000 Posts: 458
edited 3 May in The potting shed
A plant with these leaves has appeared in one of my tubs of Hostas, and seems to want to dominate.

It is probably another common one that I do not know. I can do an overall pic if required.

Can anyone identify, please.

Thanks

Ferdinand

“Rivers know this ... we will get there in the end.”

• B3B3 Posts: 16,960
    No photo 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 24,889
    Photo?   Needs to be less than 2mb to load and well-cropped to load the right way up as there's a bit of a glitch at the mo.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Might be aquilegia a bit hard to be sure from just the leaf.
  • Ferdinand2000Ferdinand2000 Posts: 458
    Photo was on a separate machine :-).

Immaculately quick responses - I will add a couple more in a minute.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 15,784
    It's an aquilegia. They do have a habit of self seeding.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
    A couple of extra pics. Thanks for any further comments.

• shazza 3shazza 3 Posts: 95
    These are horrendous to get rid of once they are established. I was given one plant years ago and I didn't know anything about them. How they've self seeded all over the garden and are an absolute menace. You can't just pull them out, they've got tap roots that go really deep. Although they are pretty, they take over everything !!!!!! I'm in the middle of trying to just some of the clumps but I know that I'll never be free of them 😭😭😭
    shazza 3 said:
    These are horrendous to get rid of once they are established. I was given one plant years ago and I didn't know anything about them. How they've self seeded all over the garden and are an absolute menace. You can't just pull them out, they've got tap roots that go really deep. Although they are pretty, they take over everything !!!!!! I'm in the middle of trying to just some of the clumps but I know that I'll never be free of them 😭😭😭
    Thanks for the encouragement :smile: .

Time to repot some hostas.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,242
    I like them  :) Haven't got enough here - this was my previous garden

“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.” ― Terry Pratchett
    I like them. You can easily recognise, hoe them or pick them out in the first year. They're only hard to get out of you've left them for a year for more. Even then it's not that hard even in heavy clay.