Forum home Problem solving

Palm trees

LockdowngardenerLockdowngardener North walesPosts: 3
What is the best fertiliser for palm trees new to gardening and got the bug while in lockdown . Phoenix palms are the variety that we have ordered

• InglezinhoInglezinho Posts: 515
    edited 4 May
    Most palm trees are not hardy (frost resistant) in UK, which is why you don't see them very often, although they do make good house plants until they get too big. The best for outdooors is the Chusan palm ( Trachycarpus fortunei). Only water in warm weather and don't worry about fertilizer. Phoenix ( the date palm) is from N Africa and very tall, sorry you've been conned. Good luck!
    Everyone likes butterflies. Nobody likes caterpillars.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 68,132
    edited 4 May
    Hey ho!  Afraid that’s not quite right. The previous poster is based in Brazil and not that experienced in UK gardening 😊 

Pics of mature Phoenix palms in N. Wales here

Phoenix palms are fine in southern and coastal regions of the UK.  Whereabouts in N. Wales are you?  Not halfway up
    Snowdon I presume.  

Hopefully you’re along the coast? 

Info and advice here

And more palms in Wales here, just to reassure you

July 11, 2017 //

“...Clutched in the calcerous grip of the Great Orme and Little Orme headlands is Llandudno, where a seafront crescent of palm trees and grand icecream-block-like hotels seems to continue the colours of the Ormes’ vegetation-cloaked limestone pavement....” BBC Countryfile Magazine August 2017

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LockdowngardenerLockdowngardener North walesPosts: 3
    Thanks dove from above I’m on the coast not far from Llandudno my wife bought 2 palm trees as she likes them so will give them a try. They only cost £28 and I have seen plenty of trees in north wales 
    Give my best to Llandudno and the Gt Orme ... happy family holiday memories 😎 
    i hope your palm trees do well for you 🌴 🌴 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 132
    Phoenix C palms aren't generally the hardiest but do well in some of our "micro climates" - certain parts of the West UK suit them to a T - yours should do well given your location so congratulations to your wife for her choice :)  
  • LockdowngardenerLockdowngardener North walesPosts: 3
    Thanks I have looked up info about them and if i follow it they should do well only time will tell they are being delivered this weekend so luckily missed last few days bad weather.
    I’d love to see some photos of them 😊