Forum home Plants

Wildflower id?

turmericturmeric Posts: 825
Hello everyone and happy Bank Holiday Monday. Whilst out walking yesterday we came across a pretty flower growing along the hedgerow and wondered if anyone knew what it was?  I was thinking Silene/Campion at the time but having looked that up properly I can see that it doesn't have this flower's distinctive yellow centre. The leaves were a very narrow lance shape and quite low down the long stem.  Many thanks if anyone knows.  

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,200
    edited May 2021
    Stitchwort ... we used to pop the seedcases as children.

Edited to add link https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/wildlife-explorer/wildflowers/greater-stitchwort
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• turmericturmeric Posts: 825
    Dove, you're a genius! Thank you.  :)
  • Anna33Anna33 West SussexPosts: 299
    @turmeric , funny you should ask this - I saw a load of this exact plant out on a walk yesterday, and wondered exactly the same as you. Unfortunately my phone had died so I couldn't take a picture, but after some thorough Googling when I got home, I also identified it as Stitchwort.

It's so beautful, isn't it? The plants I saw were in large clumps, and looked both dainty and striking at the same time.
  • turmericturmeric Posts: 825
    It's amazing Anna33 that some plants aren't available in nurseries, I'd love it in my garden.  Perhaps it has a reputation for being invasive though in a garden setting?  But yes, I agree, it's ever so pretty.