Forum home The potting shed

A MYSTERY

pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,145
OK, all you sleuths out there, solve this one.

This morning I went down to my 6’x8’ greenhouse which has a roof window on a catch, which is closed, and another that opens automatically when the weather gets hot (!) The weather has not been hot recently. At the end opposite to the door is a louvred window, which is tight shut. The doors are kept closed except when I’m working inside the greenhouse. The whole greenhouse sits on a raised wooden deck which is slightly larger than the greenhouse itself. There are no gaps between the greenhouse and the deck. No gaps in the wooden floor.

The last time I visited the greenhouse was yesterday morning when I went in to remove some smallish sheets of bubble wrap from half a dozen pots of lettuce, which are standing on the wooden floor of the greenhouse.

This morning I went in to check on things. The pots were in place, their contents undisturbed.

In the middle of the floor was a splattered bit of bird poo, about the size of a fifty pence coin. I looked up. No sign of any bird or any other mess.

I turned to leave the greenhouse. On the floor near one door frame was a dead baby bluetit, lying face down with its wings by its side. It was still warm and soft and floppy. Only very recently dead. I turned it over. Its guts were hanging out of its anus. No sign of any damage to its feathers. No blood. No sign of anything in its beak.

OK.  What the devil happened?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

• B3B3 Posts: 16,962
    Might it have exhausted itself trying to get out and you stepped on it by accident. We're you wearing heavy footwear so you might not have felt it underfoot.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • hatty123hatty123 West YorkshirePosts: 74
    Nooooo pansyface stepped on a baby bluetit is not the right ending to this cliffhanger! 😂
    Someone needs to come up with a different idea!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 68,132
    Well, however the bluetit got in there, it's a lesson to us all not to eat too much and then get constipated ... sounds as if it 'over-strained'  :'(
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 5,147
    Ewww, glad I wasn't eating
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,145
    Yes B3, that thought occurred to me but I wasn’t wearing anything substantial on my feet, I’m sure I would have heard or felt something, and it’s little body was in pristine condition, apart from the bad case of haemorrhoids. 
  • B3B3 Posts: 16,962
    Sounds like an unpleasant death then😞
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,704
    Good replacement for Line of Duty ?

Starring PansyFace , Dove , Nanny Beach  and selected others.
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 261
    But how did the baby blue tit get INTO the greenhouse? Usually there is a block of ice involved in these kind of conundrums but I don't see how that could be the case here - the hail wasn't that bad.   

Poor baby blue tit - what a horrible way to go.  
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,145
    Apparently Dove wasn’t so far off the mark, perhaps.  There’s a phenomenon called cloacal prolapse, which is very unpleasant and maybe explains the physical problem.  

But as didyw says, how did it get into the greenhouse?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 68,132
    Cloacal prolapse is not hugely uncommon in very senior laying hens.

Could the bluetit have followed you unseen into the greenhouse earlier and the been unable to leave?  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh