Forum home Plants

New Blackthorn sapling...Healthy but Spindly

NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,811
I have one waiting to get planted and its about 4 foot tall 

Its really healthy full of bright green leaves

Do I need to worry that it only has  branches on one side.?

Its probably where it was grown with others and the branches have only developed on one side

Im inclined to plant it and look at it again in September

Any thoughts friends.
Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,738
    We have bought a few fruit trees online, all were spindly, and some were a bit lopsided when they arrived.  Where this happens, we usually plant the bare side of the tree facing South, to encourage more growth on that side. We also stake the tree, which you should do anyway, and if necessary, add additional support to the branches which are sticking out on one side (especially if they are long and spindly).  That will reduce any wind rock.

Most trees will eventually throw out branches evenly, to balance out any inbalances.  Personally, I wouldn't do any formative pruning until the tree has naturally grown into a more balanced shape, but others with more fruit tree experience may suggest some pruning soon, to encourage a more balanced shape. 

There is an advanced pruning technique, where you can scratch the bark/trunk of a tree, to stimulate a branch to grow from that spot.  I've never tried it, but you could do some research into it to see if that is an option.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,197
    Blackthorn saplings tend to be spindly ... they bush out when cut back ... that's what makes them such good plants for stock hedging. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh