Forum home Plants

Bare Root Hardy Geraniums

so.phieso.phie Posts: 20
I think I have made a bit of a newbie error in my excitement to begin my beds this year. 

I ordered some lovely cranesbill hardy geraniums which arrived as bare root plants. I knew they would arrive like this and planted them the following day. This was about a month ago.

There is currently no sign of geraniums above the soil. I am wondering if I have done something wrong, or if I am being impatient. I believe hardy geraniums should at least be visible by now, but perhaps mine need a little longer. Alternatively, I planted them too late, they were not a good quality root plant or they are just very unhappy where they are (semi-shaded light clay with added fresh compost).

Any thoughts from the seasoned experts out there? I imagine I should have just waited a little longer and bought a full plant.  :(

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,030
    It might have been better to pot them up and let them get some growth first. It's not the best time of year to have planted out bare root plants.
    They'll grow in almost soil and aspect, so I wouldn't worry about the location you have them in at all. 
    Have you watered them? Many areas have had very little rain in the last couple of months. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• so.phieso.phie Posts: 20
    Thank you for the reply. I have been watering them at least every other day, but as you say it has been very dry lately and I do worry they have gotten too dry. 

Do you think I should wait and see what happens with them now it is a bit wetter, or should I move on and get some plants for the same spot and see how they do?
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,291
    I would wait for a bit longer. They are tough plants and may just be growing more roots. Even my established ones are at varying stages of development. :)
  • so.phieso.phie Posts: 20
    Thank you for your help! They are such lovely plants, hopefully they will be ready to appear soon.  :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,030
    I'd agree with @Buttercupdays - just give them a bit of time and see what happens. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• borgadrborgadr KentPosts: 543
    edited May 2021
    I planted some bare root geraniums in pots this winter, most of them appeared weeks ago but one of them only popped up a couple of days ago.  So I would wait.
  • EustaceEustace OxfordPosts: 1,402
    I think you should wait for some more time. I am also in the same boat - I too potted up 4 bareroot geraniums about 2 months ago, of which only one has so far 2 leaves showing. I'm hopeful that the others will also come up soon.