Forum home Plants

Is my Pieris past it?

g333g333 Posts: 119
Hi

I moved into a house and redone the front garden in march, I removed this old Pieris, and replanted in the back garden, however it looks like it might have had its day? There has been no change the the leave colour to red so far this year.

Any advise or is it gone?

• brackenbracken South West EnglandPosts: 91
    Keep watering it well.  I'd give it more time before getting rid of it.  The shock of moving it could well have stunted the new growth.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,902
    It's probably just suffering a bit from being moved - it's a decent sized specimen.
    Make sure it doesn't go short of water for the next few months. They're tough shrubs, so don't worry too much.
    The browning foliage is just a bit of weather damage. You can remove that soon. 
    Ideally, it would have been easier if it had been cut back a bit before moving. You can certainly do that, but leave it for a couple of weeks if you have any frost in the forecast. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    Have you checked the soil is neutral to acidic? The new growth looks quite pale. The new area may be too alkaline for it.

Having said that, it is a large shrub and will take a while to settle in. Watering well and consistently through the summer will be the priority.
  • g333g333 Posts: 119
    Believe it or not that is it cut back at parts, it was much bigger.  Happy to leave it and water it, might give it some growmore?

How much can this be cut back down?
    They can be cut back quite hard, but I'd let it recover a bit if you've already pruned it.
    I wouldn't feed it - just let it recover a bit. You can feed it later once it recovers a little more. 

No problem will just water it for now and hopefully it recovers 
    They can stand quite a bit of abuse, so it should be ok  :)
    I dug one out here when I moved in. It just sat neglected in a big trug for several months before I gave it to my nephew. It was fine, and is growing well  in his garden. 

Good to know, I’ll bare with it and hopefully see it recover