Forum home Tools and techniques

Compost acceleration

Does anyone have any tips on natural ways to accelerate compost and/or has anyone used the commercial acceleration stuff and is it any good? 
Thanks as always. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,692
    wee wee, straight from the source ( easier for chaps )
    Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,945
    Near equal amounts of green and brown stuff, no more than 2” of grass at a time and well mixed.  Turn weekly if you can,  incorporate air and it will be hot in the middle in no time, once we get some hot sun that is🙂
    It will go naturally, no need to buy stuff to put on it. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,491
    Recycled beer or cider ... or orange squash at a pinch  ... a pint or so when the mood takes you ... why spend money when it's available for free  ;)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,801
    We use the same euphemism - OH always says "Excuse me while I go and accelerate the compost".
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,621
    I take it ‘sending a little sausage to the seaside’ is not recommended for this purpose? 😉
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,801
    I've never heard that one before... and rather wish I hadn't 🤢
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • alfharris8alfharris8 Posts: 255
    Can't be unheard now 😂. Hilarious , thank you. 
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 6,456
    There are a number of compost aerators available to 'stir' the compost.  Garotta is a powder to accelerate composting.  Only active ingredient is Nitrogen.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,945
    Why buy it though, you can get your nitrogen from grass clippings, unless you don’t have a lawn. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• B3B3 Posts: 21,532
    'Near equal amounts of green and brown stuff'
    Read it twice and realised you mentioned green stuff not yellow stuff @Lyn. My mind was still on the toilet so to speak.
    In London. Keen but lazy.