Forum home Plants

DAFFODILS

Slowly as my daffodils are fading away from my garden. What is the best way to deal with spent flowers? eg dead flowers etc

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,134
    edited May 2021
    Take the dead flowers off before the seed pod starts to form on the back, I put them in the compost bin or if I’m busy just throw them on the soil and dig them in when you put your summer planting in.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thanks Lyn. Will do. If you dig the seed pots into the garden I am assuming more daffies? Also do I leave the greens until they die down?
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,294
    Yes, leave the leaves to die back,they put the energy and goodness back in to the bulbs for next year,then a feed next spring
  • Thanks NannyBeach. What do you mean by spring feed? What kind? I assume when the daffs have popped up from beneath?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,918
    The seeds won't create new plants. You'd have to leave the seed to ripen and then sow it, and even then, it wouldn't work very well. Bulbs create small offset bulbs which grow on into mature bulbs  :)
    Feed as the daffs die down, not next spring. That helps to build them up for the following year. A slow release food if they're in the ground, a liquid feed is easier if in pots.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks Fairygirl. Is there a specific feed? My daffs are planted onto lawn.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,918
    Ah - a liquid feed will be better then. You could just use seaweed, which will feed the lawn too, or even a bit of tomato food. In general, if they're in the lawn, they don't need much though.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks for that. Much appreciated.