Forum home Plants

GARDENERS DELIGHT

I am looking to plant out all of my GD tomatoes (mid to late May). How far apart and what size of support cane?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,255
    edited May 2021
    I always grow mine in the conservatory as the weather here is too unpredictable to grow tomatoes outdoors.

To give you an idea of spacing, mine are in pots set inside washing up bowls. The canes are 2.4 metres long and I trim the plants when they get to the top of those. They would grow taller but I’d run out of conservatory.

Here is one half of the conservatory. There isn’t room to swing a cat. The cat can confirm this.  Gardeners’ Delight are in there somewhere.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Pansyface. Thanks. Nice pics. 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,873
    I'd use 8ft canes (which are usually a lot stouter than shorter ones) which once buried will give you about 6ft or so to train the plants.
    If you're in a windy site, it may be better to stop the plants when they're shorter.
    I'd give them 3ft+ between each plant so they get good airflow and light
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thanks Pete.8. Do I start staking them as soon as I plant them out? They are in pots just now.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,873
    Yes, tie them in when you plant them. You don't want winds to snap the main stem. Don't tie too tightly though as the stem will expand a little as the plant grows.
    And let's hope that by mid-May it's warmed up a bit!!!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thanks Pete.8 Much appreciated. Yes unpredictable weather. When will it warm up indeed.
  • Nice one BenCotto. I would never have thought of that.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,161
    I'm wondering where you are - are you up here in Scotland @thistletown71 ?
    If so, most people grow toms undercover as the climate isn't reliable for outdoor growing. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hi Fairygirl Yes I am in Bonnie Scotland. North East. Yes the unpredictable weather....it's still too cold for any of plants to go out...baskets etc
    Unfortunately no room indoors for any plants thus all must go out. I will until end of May and chance it.