Forum home Problem solving

Jasmine in a pot

For the past 3years we have had this jasmin ion a pot growing up the side of the pergola. In the past 2 year we have noticed black small spots on a lot of the leaves and We have been spraying it with rose clear. Nothing seems to go away and the plant doesn’t seem to be growing much. We re potted it last year and gave it new soil but not sure if it needs a bigger pot.

is their any tips or advice that anyone can give us on growing Jasmine and making out better.

please help. 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 15,784
    That is Star Jasmine or Trachelospermum Jasminoides, not the normal jasmine.

I think it does need a bigger pot. Have you fed it and do you water it? They mustn't dry out in summer, but they don't need much water in winter. They need a sheltered spot.

At this time of year they often look tatty and discoloured, they grow new leaves and the old ones drop off.

The only thing I can think of concerning the black spots is scale insects.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,360
    Your whole shrub is not happy. I suspect it is all due to the size of the container. You need to re-pot to a much larger size container and make sure you use a loam-based compost mixed with a bit of multi-purpose compost. The leaf spots and yellowing will hopefully go eventually.