Forum home Plants

Can you help identify this plant please?

Hi everyone. Hope you can help. My son's new house has this plant popping up all along a border. It is very pretty with the firework bract cluster of flowers but is it a "keep it or kill it"? Would be grateful for an ID. Many thanks Cath.

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,722
    It's a Euphorbia, but I don't know which one. 
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,457
    I think it could be Euphorbia griffithii "Dixter".
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,583
    I agree.  You have to be very careful when dealing with it as getting the sap on your skin in sunlight can cause a rash and/or burns and don't, whatever you do, rub your eyes with the sap on you hands or gloves.  It can damage the eyeball and is painful.

I really dislike euphorbias but many find their acidic colours attractive.  This link may help identify yours:
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/Search-Results?form-mode=true&query=euphorbia 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks JennyJ and Busy-Lizzie, that's superb. Very quick reply and you know your stuff. I have googled and think it probably is Dixter as it is only currently about 12" tall but is running right through the borders so he may need to pull some out. Definitiely a keeper though as it looks lovely! Many thanks to you both for your help. xx
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,977
    It's a beautiful plant, interest all season from the spring shoots all the way to fiery autumn colour.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,297
    J have 'Fireglow' which is similar.  It makes a mini hedge at the back of the border and the wind sculpts it into gentle curves that mirror the hills behind. It does run a bit but is not that hard to control.