Forum home Plants

Ice plant changing colour..

squirral87k4-WvGwTsquirral87k4-WvGwT Posts: 167
edited May 2021 in Plants
Hi,
I potted up my ice plants into a mix of top soil/ gravel /compost last year. They gradually went from green to the colour below. Why is this happening? I don’t water often as it’s a succulent so it can’t be due to over watering…

Meanwhile, I took a few cuttings at the same time last year and put them in the soil under a camellia and they are green and looking healthier (photo below).

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,198
    I think your soil mix might be too water retentive. I use old compost and grit for any succulents, so that they stay drier.
    I also tip the pots on their sides over winter to help keep the worst of winter wet off them. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,744
    Ours do this, and I believe it's completely normal.  They are usually green over Winter, and then turn a lovely reddish colour in Spring, just before flowering.  Yours look very healthy to me, they seem quite fleshy.

• granmagranma Posts: 1,929
    My Iceplant  goes like this .....thought  it was normal ,gives it a 'aged '   look .
  • squirral87k4-WvGwTsquirral87k4-WvGwT Posts: 167
    edited May 2021
    Ah great, thanks for the reassurance. I like how they look but I’d read somewhere that when a plant turns red it’s a sign of distress so hence my question.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,198
    I slightly misread your post - apologies.
    Colour change is certainly normal for many succulents. I thought you were concerned about the general condition of the plant - it looks like there's a bit of damage to some stems, and a few dead ones, hence my post re wet soil  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fairygirl said:
    I slightly misread your post - apologies.
    Colour change is certainly normal for many succulents. I thought you were concerned about the general condition of the plant - it looks like there's a bit of damage to some stems, and a few dead ones, hence my post re wet soil  :)
    No need to apologies - but thank you for clarifying.

Yes, you’re right there are some dead stems, I might trim them off and then root the living part separately.
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,929
    Sometimes if my plant is in too much sun they lose colour and look translucant
    A move into a  Shadier spot puts it right though.