Forum home Plants

Blue hosta

Hi, I've had my blue hosta for a second season, brought from a local who sells a lot of plants, I've just noticed a plastic white label. Saying needs deviding, should I do this now, or wait until either end of summer or next spring. This is how there growing in the pot so far. Last picture is from last year,  thinking once I've sorted garden to plant them in my shaded area 

• peteSpeteS Posts: 805
    I'm no expert on hostas, but I wouldn't have thought it needed dividing at this time.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    I agree and suspect the label was originally on a larger specimen which was split, and they forgot to remove the label from the piece you bought.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,481
    No that doesn't need dividing ... it's perfectly fine as it is  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,620
    That can stay in that pot this year and probably next year too but then I suggest you divide it the following spring, as soon as you see the noses poking thru.  In my experience they sulk if split in autumn and growth can be checked if left too late in spring.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Excellent, thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated. Hoping once in the ground it will grow big leaves and fill out a large corner 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,669
    The only thing I'd suggest you do, is to buy lots more Hostas to keep that one company.  :D
    Devon.
  • One thing I've struggled with is the pesky slugs. So far they haven't munched on them since I put the copper strip and pot 
  • Haha I have another two on the growth in glass fronted shed. Will post pic. Also one in pot from tuber. Seen those mouse ears I want to get next hehe 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,669
    Haha I have another two on the growth in glass fronted shed. Will post pic. Also one in pot from tuber. Seen those mouse ears I want to get next hehe 
    I've got blue mouse ears, but none of the others. 
    If you're gonna have one, have a biggun
    Devon.