Forum home Plants

Camelia Re-potted and Not Looking Well.

Hi,

We planted a new Camelia last Summer in our front garden. Unfortunately, it was north facing, the garden is shaded most of the day and was in ground we found wasn't well draining once you get down into the soil a bit.

We moved the plant into a big pot and brought it to the back garden last weekend, which is south facing and gets sun all day. We've added some bark, potted it in ericaceous soil and given it some plant food in its water. It's not looking too clever though. The leaves at the end of the branches are turning brown and curling up. We've never seen it flower and are concerned it's trying to tell us something.

Hopefully some Camelia whisperers in this forum can give us some tips please. Should it be in sunshine all day, how often it needs feeding / watering and what with, etc? I'm not David Bailey but some photos are attached.

Thanks in advance

• Should probably add we've been feeding it with rhodedenrum food, and we're advised the Camelia is acid-loving.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,294
    Sun, wind, Frost damage,I think it might be too big for the pot it's in. Better to have it somewhere more shady, give some frost protection
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    Well, camelia prefer shade and your pot is too small. The compost should have plenty of nutrients so you may have over fed it. Moving an established shrub is always tricky and our combination of bright sun and hard frost is about as bad as you can get. I would put it in half shade and a bigger pot and keep my fingers crossed.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,294
    Yes,Posy and I feel the same
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    So you do, @NannyBeach, and I didn't even notice.  I apologise!