Forum home The potting shed

Lilly of the valley. Too strong a smell

JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 595
In France it’s traditional to offer Lilly of the valley today , so far I have been given 1 lot in a pot and one arrangement with cut flowers. Is it just me or is the smell way too strong for an indoor plant?

Have to admit the pot is now outside, the cut flowers can stay for now but have been moved to closer to a window and away from me!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,145
    edited 1 May
    I’ve never grown it as an indoor plant so I can’t say if the perfume is overpowering. Here in chilly Derbyshire, it’s only just beginning to poke through the ground. I can never smell it when it’s in flower outside.

I’d be glad to have the option of having to smell it or not rather than not be able to smell it at all.  🙂
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 237
    My favourite Scent! And my favourite perfume is Diorissimo, which has lily of the valley top notes.
    I only have a few in the garden, but would love more. Haven’t even noticed any leaves coming up yet, so no flowers to give to friends.
    I can imagine that the scent may not be to everyone’s taste, but right now, I’m wishing I was in France for the day!
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,058
    It is a strong smell inside the house, but then I can't stand hyacinths or narcissus in the house either. Unfortunately my potted Lily of the Valley seems to have died on me over the winter.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 27,582
    I looked after a garden for 15 years and  I used to dig out barrowloads of it every year. Totally invasive
    Devon.
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 595
    I I assume it’s grown in poly tunnels or something to make it flower always in time for 1st may. It’s amazing how just three sprigs gives off so much scent. Hubby  can’t  have hyacinths in the house, I guess some of us are more sensitive to certain smells. The funny thing is ii do like it as a perfume, I guess it’s more distilled and mixed with chemicals 🤔
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 6,127
    I find the scent of sarcococca, jasmine and hyacinths overwhelming in the house - but strong enough to give delicious, delicate whiffs throughout the garden when they're outside. I imagine lily-of-the-valley would be the same . 

So I wouldn't be without any of them - but definitely confined to outdoors.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,058
    I bought a tray of small violas last Wednesday and have kept them in the porch on top of the tumble dryer awaiting warmer weather. I was surprised this morning when I opened the inner door to get a strong whiff of a pleasant perfume from them.
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 618
    Our plants have flowered for the 1st May.
    We didn't plant them as they were in the garden when we moved in 1978!!!
    Yes they can be invasive but you need to keep an eye out.
    The scent is great when the weather is warm........not great at the moment.
    Still a lovely plant to have this time of the year.
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,971
    I adore the smell......I put a few flowers on the windowsill in the hall......house smells divine!!
  • tomlite770tomlite770 Posts: 3
    My mother loved them very much and we also had them at home. Until I began to live separately, I did not understand what a strong smell they exude.