Forum home Plants

Lupin (Noble Maiden) - will it flower this year?

squirral87k4-WvGwTsquirral87k4-WvGwT Posts: 167
edited April 2021 in Plants
Hello,

I have a small lupin plant that I bought last autumn as a plug plant (bad idea in retrospect). It’s now around 15cm tall. It’s in a 9cm pot. Not much foliage. It’s the lupin ‘noble maiden’ variety that is meant to grow to 1.2m.

My question: given it is so small now, can I realistically expect it to flower this year and achieve anywhere near 1m by June?

I intended to plant it out at the back of my border but I’m unsure now given how small it is.

Also any tips on how to get it to flower are most welcome!

Thanks 

• WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,410
    I planted out about 80 lupins last year grown from seed all in 10cm pots and only small (so about 6 months old). They all flowered and made not quite 1mt high 
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    I would be inclined to pot it up now and plant out when it's a bit bigger. You will need to protect it from slugs and aphids. It should be leafing up by now - do you know why it isn't?
  • I planted out about 80 lupins last year grown from seed all in 10cm pots and only small (so about 6 months old). They all flowered and made not quite 1mt high 
    Very helpful 
    thanks 
  • Posy said:
    I would be inclined to pot it up now and plant out when it's a bit bigger. You will need to protect it from slugs and aphids. It should be leafing up by now - do you know why it isn't?

Here’s what it looks like now… I considered repotting /putting in the ground but the roots haven’t properly filled this pot yet…

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    It is a baby! I'd grow that on a bit. I wonder why it's so tiny. 
  • Posy said:
    It is a baby! I'd grow that on a bit. I wonder why it's so tiny. 
    So do I! I water it, give it sunshine… even tried a bit of feed… oh well… it will grow when it wants to I guess.