Forum home Plants

Avoiding Floppy Peonies

Hi everyone,

We have recently bought some peonies (Bowl of Beauty & Nice Gal) which seem to be doing well at the moment. I understand that we will need to support them as the flowers are heavy and cause the stems to droop. I’ve been looking online and I’m astounded at how much the peony fluted supports are. I’m minded to make something from canes and some rings. 

Can anyone recommend a cheap solution? If I can get hold of some cheap sectioned rings of different sizes I could lattice them onto the canes. I guess an alternative solution is to make the rings from willow or something similar. 

Any ideas or pointers would be great,

Many thanks,

Ed

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    edited April 2021
    I suppose the frames aren't cheap but they last forever and can be left in place over winter if you want and look good 
    There is a good selection here https://www.ukgardenproducts.co.uk/acatalog/herbaceous-plant-supports-p1.html
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,307
    I find grow through frames really effective in supporting herbaceous peonies, this kind of format: https://www.sarahraven.com/gardening-kit/plant-supports-structures-edging/round-grow-frame.htm can he had for much less elsewhere. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    Monty Don has a thing on Youtube showing how to make supports from 6mm steel rods. Cheap, easy and effective.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,138
    I made those that Monty Don shows.  Staked the peony’s yesterday. ,  
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    Thanks for remind g me, need to do mine  :)
  • micearguersmicearguers CambridgePosts: 605
    Some of my peonies are excessively heavy (inherited, don't know the type), not easily accessible and really need some sort of support guild master to make it all work. Last year I changed philosophy. When the peonies are in bud they are to me equally beautiful, so after enjoying all that I just used them as cut flowers. I had no faff with supports, and the plant and foliage itself looked all the better for it. On the one hand an admission of failure, on the other hand all the support frustration melted away and the garden experience was much more tranquil.
  • DevonianDevonian DevonPosts: 175
    Try this https://www.themiddlesizedgarden.co.uk/make-natural-plant-supports-clippings/

Just made mine using clippings from the apple tree - they're perfect (although admittedly quite long applewood clippings as it was horrifically overgrown. but nice and flexible)! 
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,298
    They shoot up all of a sudden,we have small branches from pruning they look quite nice. I am in the "rusty metal" phase,we bought some of the metal stakes you get from builders merchants, like a mini shepherds crook,that hold up that orange plastic netting stuff that is put round building sites etc. I bought them cheaper on a VERY well known online market place,I do put string round them but you can't see it. The will last for ever
  • Thanks everyone some great ideas there and I really do like Monty's solution - they look great. @Nanny Beach I have just purchased some metal stakes so hopefully I'll be able to conjure something up. Just need some metal rings now!