Forum home Plants

Metrosideros Excelsus - New Zealand Christmas tree

Does anyone have this shrub/tree, or have any experience of growing this plant.  I was given one today and I am not sure where to plant it or what to expect and yes I have googled it but would appreciate some first hand knowledge of it.  Thank you.

• tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 2,571
    @Guernsey Donkey2  Pohutakawa is the NZ name for this native tree.  It is stunning if you can grow it.  It is called the Christmas Tree because it flowers red flowers in the summer.  They seem to grow well on coastal areas with lots of sea air.  The leaves are hard and dark green.  The flowers can cause itching - in fact as kids we used to collect the dried ones and use as itching powder!!

Good luck.  If it thrives you will have a beautiful tree.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• Thank you tuikowhai34 for sharing this information with me.  I didn't know about the itching caused from the flowers.  I was hoping this plant would be a shrub rather than a tree, I don't know if I can find room for it in our overstocked garden.  Perhaps I can keep it in the pot for a while whilst I think of a place to plant it out.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555
    Have a read of this @Guernsey Donkey2
    https://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/content.cfm?ref=Metrosideros+-+Growing+Guide

It needs protecting when young to get to the point where it can cope below 5C so be prepared to give it winter shelter.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • That is an interesting article Obelixx, and I am obviously concerned for this plant.  We don't get such cold weather here in Guernsey although the wind can be quite fierce at times.  I am still contemplating where to put this plant although I have been told that I can keep it small with pruning.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555
    Somewhere sunny and sheltered.  Strong wind can be as devastating as frost.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw