Forum home Plants

Acer in a pot?

debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,603
Hi all, just treated myself to a small acer which I want to grow in a pot. Any tips? 
Thank you 

• bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,902
    We have one that we put in a pot many years ago. Can't tell you which one as it was so long ago.
    We nearly lost it a few years back but we repotted into a bigger pot and have carefully checked the watering.
    They do like to have rain water but this month.....none until yesterday...so they had to have tap water.
    The frost though has still had a go but hopefully it will come back.
    The colours of the leaves are fabulous and last year it was as though it was on fire.
    We though are on the Somerset Levels and whislt we had frosts all through April maybe you have had even lower temps.
    Maybe protect the pot in the winter/early spring.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,603
    Thanks for that, does it need any special soil? Extra feed or water at certain times? 
  • I was more successful using soil-based ericaceous compost. This is not the same as ordinary ericaceous compost, it contains less organic matter but has more body so the roots develop better. Keep feeding very reduced to keep fungal diseases at bay and maximise leaf colour. They can take shade, but watch out for late frosts on the young growth. They need regular watering but excellent drainage—another reason for using the soil-based compost. Also, give them a generous pot. Most are sizeable shrubs by nature, even the dwarf forms. They don’t want to be cramped—bonsai Acers are for experts! 
  • DedekindDedekind Posts: 171
    I have mine for a year in a pot with ericaceous compost, it is doing great and has really took off. Also feed it with those liquid feeds for Azaleas etc from time to time.

When I got it last year it was about 50cm high, now it's a bit more than 1m!
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,603
    Thank you I have some of the appropriate soil I got for a camellia. Will pot it up this weekend l.