Forum home Plants

Which Viburnum?

turmericturmeric Posts: 825
Hi everyone.  Can anyone tell me which Viburnum the photos are of?  I'm thinking bodnantense or carlesii? The plant, before the main part recently died, was over 9ft tall and about 6ft wide if that helps with the ID.  You can see how large the trunk had grown from the photo.  Thankfully it has a few new shoots coming from the base at the back (which are already about 7ft high) but my neighbour would like a second one to plant in front to fill that hole that's been created if possible.  The photos were taken today so that gives an idea of flower timing and what the leaves are like at the moment I hope?  The lady was told it was Viburnum roseum at the nursery when she described it to them but I thought that was a cultivar of Viburnum opulus and this definitely isn't opulus.  Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks. turmeric

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    The leaves look a bit shiny. I'm thinking more likely Viburnum x Burkwoodii
  • turmericturmeric Posts: 825
    Yes Borderline, the leaves are shiny.  I've been looking online since posting and Burkwoodii keeps coming up.  I thought the plant dropped some if not all of its leaves in the winter though (I remember them changing colour in autumn) and online I keep reading that burkwoodii is evergreen.  I'm not sure my neighbours plant was evergreen.

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    These so-called 'evergreen' shrubs may lose some of their leaves in the winter, especially if they are in cold or exposed areas. Not seen many of these Viburnums in my area, so cannot comment on autumn colours, but I do know Burkwoodii can get quite big if not really pruned. I think the Juddii one does not get really tall.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    I'd agree - burkwoodii.
    I have it here and it rarely remains evergreen in my climate, and usually drops most of it's leaves.  :)
    The autumn colour is fairly short lived - it drops the foliage quite quickly.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Thanks Borderline and Fairygirl.  So no takers for bodnantense or carlesii?  I have a feeling one of those is too small but I can't find out which.  
  • newbie77newbie77 LondonPosts: 1,555
    My carlesii has flowers with pinkish colour. Burkwoodii has more white flowers. Mine kept its leaves even in this winter. I am not sure but your shrub looks more like burkwoodii.
    Thanks newbie77. The flowers on my neighbour's shrub are brilliant white.  The buds were ever so slightly pink but I think I agree with you, burkwoodii.