Forum home Plants

Creeping Thistle

A very odd request - but I am looking to source some creeping thistle! 
I work for a documentary production company, and we are making a film about UK wildlife in which we feature creeping thistle and painted lady butterflies. We really want to film some creeping thistle plants inside a studio, however it seems impossible to buy them anywhere - I suppose there isn't much of a market for it! 

Does anyone located in the London and greater London or Sussex area have any creeping thistle that we may be able to dig up and transplant? Or any advice on how we might achieve this? 

Many thanks

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,577
    Drive around and look in fields, (horse fields would be easy to spot it in) it's a few cm tall here at the moment It will probably be big enough to spot down there. I cannot think of any farmer who would say no to a request to remove some! I certainly wouldn't horrible stuff (and my painted ladies ignore it entirely they are gone by the time it flowers)
  • Skandi said:
    Drive around and look in fields, (horse fields would be easy to spot it in) it's a few cm tall here at the moment It will probably be big enough to spot down there. I cannot think of any farmer who would say no to a request to remove some! I certainly wouldn't horrible stuff (and my painted ladies ignore it entirely they are gone by the time it flowers)
    Thank you for the advice! We are UK based so not sure how similar the situation is, but i think you are right - driving round looking in fields probably is the best bet!
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,903
    Wow! What a strange request.
    Many decades ago we had a bale of hay from our neighbour farmer to mulch our strawberry plants.
    BIG BIG mistake as it had come from his field that he never used any chemicals (great for us) but we then introduced creeping thistle to our garden.
    Still digging it up.