Forum home Plants

Planting Bamboo

Hi, I'd like to plant a screen between the edge of my patio and the fence to next door. Its an area probably around 2ft x 8ft and would have to be around 7ft high 

So I need something that will grow up more than out, or at least can be pruned that way.

Bamboo seems a logical choice, but I've heard plenty of horror stories about it. I read you can get clump forming non invasive varieties. Are they really non invasive?

I like the look of Umbrella Bamboo 'Asian Wonder' does that seem suitable? My side of the fence tends to be in shade from the sun. 

• didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,594
    I have a couple of bamboos in pots next to the fence (N. facing) between me and my neighbour.  One is a black stemmed bamboo (Phyllostachys nigra)  that I've had forever, the other is the one you are looking at - Fargesia robusta 'Asian Wonder'. I planted it in its pot last autumn and it is doing well - it will take a while to get to any height though I think.
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,907
    Our non invasive bamboos (all in the ground) are invasive but we still love bamboos. They do take a while to get to the height you want unless you are going to pay mega money for specimen ones.
  • AthelasAthelas CambridgeshirePosts: 690
    I have a Fargesia rufa said to be clumping and non-invasive... well it turned out to be invasive
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,299
    We have the Nigra,a golden,and standard all in pots,as a screen,they need a huge amount of water.A decent size specimen will set you back around £100.what about willow whips
  • Athelas said:
    I have a Fargesia rufa said to be clumping and non-invasive... well it turned out to be invasive
    This is what I was afraid of, both the label and the garden centre being rather conservative with the truth. I saw convulvulus for sale in my local garden centre!

So it seems potted is the only way to stop it becoming invasive. Particularly with it being on the fencing, I wouldnt want it spreading under the fence and shooting up next door. 

Lots of water required tho 🤔 

Willow whips are VERY invasive aren't they ?