Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

ROSES - Spring/Summer Season 2021

• OmoriOmori Posts: 1,674
    I like Gertrude as well, definitely a monster. I have mine on a fence to save space a bit. Have another (own root) on a large obelisk, that one’s looking a bit chlorotic though. 
  • SammymummySammymummy Posts: 202
    Hi everyone, I’ve been quietly enjoying everyone’s photos of gorgeous young shoots. I have a Ferdinand Pichard and I must say it’s foliage isn’t exactly attractive.
    I think @Omori has one and I wonder how it’s doing? I had only one puny flower last year and am hoping for more this year.
  • celcius_kkwcelcius_kkw Posts: 753
    @Fire Looks like the first UK bloom goes to your Etoile! I can almost smell its delicious fragrance through my phone..! 
  • FireFire Posts: 19,092
    edited April 2021
    My Ena Harkess would usually have been blooming before this, but I cut it off at the ankles in Feb. Joyfully, it is resprouting and doing well, so I might even get some blooms this year. I am hoping to get more than one cane from the plant.   @kimaotung has an Ena that been blooming for ages.

I read that over-pruned climbers can revert to become a shrub rose. My Ena seems to be somewhere in between - not shrubby and not climbing either. It has a good early first flush but doesn't do very much after May. These days I would follow the advice to not prune a climber at all for the first few years (unless for damage).

🙄

• cooldoccooldoc Posts: 853
    Buds being broken off by birds anyone? Couple of buds was found to be snapped off the plants. :'(
    A rose lover from West midlands
  • NollieNollie Posts: 7,529
    Hi @Sammymummy, have you been watering your FP well and have you given it it’s first rose feed yet? If not, I would do that, it has been very cold, dry and windy of late, which can induce drought conditions. Combine that with weeks of overcast weather and plants can generally look a bit pale and wan. If it’s dry at the roots they struggle to extract goodness from the ground and they photosynthesise less efficiently when it’s dull.

If weather-related you would likely see pale leaves and languishing roses in general, although some do seem rather more sensitive than others, plus young roses and those in pots are more vulnerable.

However, if it’s only FP looking a bit chlorotic (yellowing of the leaves) a common cause of this is an iron and/or magnesium deficiency - iron deficiency is is usually seen first in young growth, whereas magnesium deficiency is often seen in older leaves first and has a more pronounced two-tone effect. Sometimes when it’s all over the plant it’s difficult to say which or if it’s both. A small dose of powdered sequestered iron may help and certainly won’t do any harm - for one rose, maybe a quarter teaspoon in a 5L can, but do check the packet. Available in most GCs.

If feeding any supplements or indeed just a general rose food, make sure you give the rose a good drink of plain water first so the soil is receptive. Especially roses in pots as the food can just run straight though otherwise, and if it’s iron, stain your patio badly. @peteS I forgot to warn you of that re your potted Scarborough Fair - I have a couple of decidedly pink patio slabs!
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
  • SammymummySammymummy Posts: 202
    Hi @Nollie, thank you for your advice. My other roses’ new growths are rush and beautiful, so I thought Ferdinand Pichard is a particular ugly duckling. I will give it a good drink of diluted sequestered iron and hope for the best.
  • NollieNollie Posts: 7,529
    @Sammymummy It might be an ugly duckling now but it should emerge into a 🦢 in it’s own sweet time. I can see bud breaks further down it’s leggy stems, so finger’s crossed it picks up for you, bushes out and blooms more this summer.

@cooldoc I’ve had a few buds and shoots broken off but due to high winds. The birds here seem to ignore my roses, which is good, but the aphids on them too, unfortunately!
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
  • newbie77newbie77 Posts: 1,838
    Rain predicted so many times but then it doesn't rain. Not sure if I should water or wait.
    South West London