Forum home Plants

Orchid watering

DedekindDedekind Posts: 171
I bought this orchid plant about 3 weeks ago, but I am not sure how to water it. I already neglected an orchid before and it has recovered but never flowered again. 

Does it look like it needs watering now? I remember reading that as long as the roots are green then no water is needed but its been already 3 weeks or more, doesn't sound right not to water it.. at the same time you can see some kind of condensation on the pot so perhaps it's still moist below?

• BiljeBilje Posts: 727
    I water mine by dunking, put water in a bowl that’s as deep as the pot if you can.Pop the potted orchid in, it may float! Leave for about half an hour then lift it out and let it drain. I do mine every couple of weeks in the summer but it depends on where in the house your pot is. More often in its warm, less in the winter months. 
  • InglezinhoInglezinho Posts: 567
    Jings, what IS it ? It is not one of the commonly grown orchids. Please let me know as I can't give you proper advice without an ID. General advice, soak once a week in a bucket with fertilizer during warm weather.
    Everyone likes butterflies. Nobody likes caterpillars.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,299
    Hello,I have about 30(give or take!) Rain water, light NO direct sunlight.where are you keeping it? When you water,put it in a sink,pour water through,let it drain.They also need humidity,cheap sprayer,wet the leaves.  Feed when in flower,I use the consentrate you mix with water,spray the leaves and roots.  If you want one to re flower,put it away somewhere cool, not too much light,gives them a rest. I know they are always sold in transparent pots,we have visited McBeans Orchids,Barcombe,Lewes,Sussex ( not suggesting you have to go there) have a look at their site,bloke there has been raising orchids 50 years
    Sorry meant to say I watered weekly
  • BiljeBilje Posts: 727

Jings, what IS it ? It is not one of the commonly grown orchids. Please let me know as I can't give you proper advice without an ID. General advice, soak once a week in a bucket with fertilizer during warm weather.
    Mmmm? I assumed it was a phalonopsis , can’t spell it my brains gone to sleep, common name moth orchid. From what I can see it looks just like mine, could be wrong though.
  • DedekindDedekind Posts: 171
    edited April 2021
     At the moment is it is a bright spot but not in direct sunlight. I am a bit afraid of both over/under watering hence my question! Other plants I can more or less tell from checking the soil or knowing the plant,  but the growing media for this is totally different. 

If you soak it 30 you run the risk of rotting the roots, fertilizer? Must be specific Orchid feed, definitely looking like Phalaenopsis by the leaves.  It's called ", orchid Compost,it's actually bark.  In their normal habitat, they live up in the rain forest tree canopy,in shade,with humidity.  I put mine outside in the summer, in hanging baskets on trees, easier to water. You can grow them without the compost, hanging in day a bathroom,where you can feed and water the roots,but it's a faff, looks great though
    Without a pot (trying to be "smarter than me" phone) 
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    It's just a normal phal. Best to water by getting to know how light or heavy your pot is. When it's light, by dunking and draining. They tend to get killed by over-watering. Much better to under water than over. Once every two or three weeks might fine. The weight of the pot and colour of the roots (grey or green) will tell you.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,318
    when they're really dry the leave go matt and slightly shrivelled. I'm afraid I know this from experience, but they invariably bounce back. 
    Devon.