Forum home Tools and techniques

Montys spade

Does anyone know the 'long digger' tool that Monty uses on screen ? It's been described as having a back to front spade? Someone wants as birthday present and I'm trying to find...


  • TackTack Posts: 1,207
    New Traditional Full Size Digging Hoe Potatoes Digging with Wooden Handle 120cmDo you mean something like this? This one is called a Digging Hoe, but I've seen them called a trenching tool/hoe.
    Central southern England
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 7,888
    Yes - try Googling "Chillington Hoe" and you'll come up with various options for digging hoes - including those made by Chillington Tools.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • ErgatesErgates Posts: 2,191
    Just bought one last week. Couldn’t find one in any local garden centres, and ordered it direct from Chillington. The postage and packing charge was a bit steep, but it arrived only 24 hours after I ordered it! I got the light hoe as an alternative to our rather heavy mattock. Only had one chance to try it out so far, but it’s looking very good, dealt with bramble roots and grass tussocks with ease. Didn’t know Monty had one.
  • I made a similar thing myself at work, I bent a border fork to 90% and put a long rake handle on it, brilliant tool, l can whop it into the soil up to 5ft. away from the edge of the paths and still get enough depth to plant most things and don,t get my boots dirty.
Sign In or Register to comment.