Forum home Plants

Indoor Amaryllis Plant - what next?

fizzylizfizzyliz Posts: 352
My amaryllis put on a lovely show for a few weeks but it’s finished now. Not really sure how long they are supposed to last? What should I do with it now? Looks like seed pods growing at the top? Leaves still look healthy... not sure what to do next! Thank you 😊

• ColinAColinA Posts: 352
    Snap the flower heads off to let the energy go back into the bulb, cut the stem off when it withers, I keep mine in the greenhouse water and feed regularly and then stop in mid August to let it dry out. As soon as new growth shows in the spring start watering again 
  • borismrdjaborismrdja Belgrade, Serbia (44°49′N 20°28′E)Posts: 35
    edited May 2021
    I just keep mine it in fairly sized pot on a sunny location during summer (do not cut the leaves, or let them die, there is absolutely no need (its not a tulip) and i also like the waxy look of the leaves among other plants...keep as house plant over winter(stake if necessary=leaves, flower usually doesn't need staking)) ... it will flower perfectly(probably even better)if it has leaves when flower stalk appears and will multiply faster ... Divide every few years (i get around 5 new young bulbs ever two years)     
  • sychacksychack Northern California Posts: 6
    Got mine from a "secret Santa" at the office a couple of years ago and she lives outside underneath a lemon tree getting ready to bloom again. I do nothing to her except make sure she doesn't drown in the winter during rains. Definitely not a "one and done" and worth keeping around. So pretty!
  • sychacksychack Northern California Posts: 6
    My amaryllis in bloom :)
  • fizzylizfizzyliz Posts: 352
    @sychack your amaryllis is beautiful!! 

@ColinA for your replies. Seems you all do something a little different 😊 sounds like it’s still a good idea to chop the seed heads off! Should I do anything with the seed heads? Thank you! 😊
  • ColinAColinA Posts: 352
    I snap off the seed/flower heads when the flower starts to droop a bit to save the plant energy and just throw them on the compost heap