Forum home Plants

Wisteria trunk

Hi planted this wisteria last year on the side of my house. Flowering lovely this spring and vines growing steady.Only thing I’m little worried about is the space I’ve left for trunk growth. Will the trunk adapt to the surroundings ? Worried will cause issues with the wall to the right overtime. Grateful for any advise 

• K67K67 Posts: 2,507
    edited April 2021
    They do get pretty big.
    When planting climbers it is best 12 to 18 ins away from a wall to get better moisture.
    Also remove those green tabs, they are only there for transport.
    I assume you have already fixed wires for support so use garden twine in a figure of eight, not so tight as the trunk cannot expand.

https://www.countrylife.co.uk/gardens/a-foolproof-guide-to-growing-wisteria-178556
    And 
    https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/solve-problems/will-wisteria-damage-our-foundations/

Re sideways photos, just crop slightly before loading.

• brackenbracken Posts: 91
    I'd move it further from the wall as over years the trunks get big.
  • Thanks for the advise. Would you advise moving slightly? Worried about damaging plant as doing so well. Would it cause major issue if left ? 
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 28,803
    We inherited Two wisterias planted right up against walls and the trunks are very thick and no trouble at all to the walls.  You can see here the smaller of our pair taken in December to show the framework. 

It is behind that empty pot and no gap between it and the wall.  We do remove all shoots and buds from the main trunk up to head height.

I suggest you loosen the ties and even remove that cane so yours doesn't get strangled.   provide some tensioned wires or a trellis of some sort to help you train the horizontal stems across the wall until they thicken enough to be self supporting like our are now.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • K67K67 Posts: 2,507
    Thats your choice but wouldn't do anything until the autumn when it's not actively growing.
  • Thanks everyone for the advise. On a separate matter vine eyes, when growing vines up a wall do I need to have the wire going horizontal or vertical or mixture ? 
    The usual way is horizontal, every 30 cms up but if your wisteria flower trusses are long you could do 40cms.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hi folks can anyone suggest the best size vine eye to use with wisteria. I have bought 7.5cm ones with 5cm out from the wall would this be ok
    Yes.  Pass the wires thru them then tighten and tension them and tie the wisteria stems to them or twine the stems loosely round the wires as you see fit.
  • Wisteria training advise needed. This is my second year wisteria which flowered early spring really well. Currently have loads of vine growth starting to come through. I know when growing on house wall that the vines should go laterally, I have vine eyes and wire (need to zoom in on picture) as a supporting structure. My question is because I want to cover most of the wall do I allow some of the vine to grow vertically as well as laterally this year or do I keep advancing up each year? Can’t find any info on internet, grateful for any advise