Forum home Plants

Potting a shrub - good idea or not?

TimmyMagicTimmyMagic Greater LondonPosts: 132
I recently bought a few new shrubs including an Escallonia 'Apple Blossom'. I have planted it in the ground about a week ago. But I've concluded that it's too close to another shrub I also planted (Weigela 'Bristol Ruby'). Although both are small at the moment (I bought in 3L pots) I know they'll get quite large. The Escallonia is labeled as having an eventual height and width of 3m x 3m. I think it's better to have just one where I've planted them both.

I'm undecided about where to put the Escallonia. I was thinking of just potting it in a large 35L pot, so it can grow a bit over the summer. Then in the autumn I can plant it out. Is this a good idea or would it be better to just decide now and get it in the ground? I'd rather not plant it in the ground and then move it again later!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,264
    The sooner it gets into it's permanent position the better, and the quicker it'll settle down and "get going " 
    Devon.
  • TimmyMagicTimmyMagic Greater LondonPosts: 132
    Hostafan1 said:
    The sooner it gets into it's permanent position the better, and the quicker it'll settle down and "get going " 
    Okay thanks. Well, I've got some decisions to make!

I read that when planting shrubs it is best to combine the eventual width of them, then divide in half. I only read this AFTER planting them. So the Weigla (1.8m) and Escallonia (3m) should be planted 2.4m apart, according to this 'rule'. That seems quite a distance and limits my options somewhat. Is this a good rule to follow?

Do you think I can just keep the Escallonia pruned so it doesn't reach 3x3? I know it's often used a hedging so it must be okay for clipping, right? 
    IMHO, it'll be about 10 years before your escallonia gets to 3m x3m. They're happy to be pruned
    Devon.
    Here's a photo of where it is - I've circled it in red as it's hard to spot. 

I'm trying to create a new shrub border, plus some perennials. To the left you might see the weigla.

There are some very established shrubs at the back. But I've also got new ones such as cotinus, forsythia, ceanothus (against the wall) and pyracantha on the very right. There's also an acer, clematis, a choisa, zebra grass, pervoskia blue spire, plus echinops. South facing.

Maybe I'll move it over to the wall alongside the ceanothus. Decisions, decisions!

I think that spacing looks acceptable
    Devon.
    Hostafan1 said:
    I think that spacing looks acceptable
    Okay, great. Maybe I'll just leave it there and keep it in check. Thanks for your advice.