Forum home Plants

Plant ID

TimmyMagicTimmyMagic Greater LondonPosts: 132
I've been given a clump of this plant from a neighbour. She doesn't know its name but says it likes to spread. I'm keen to know what it is before planting it. Here are two photos:

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    Possibly Luzula or carex grass?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,544
    edited April 2021
    Looks a lot like carex Ice Dance which I had in my last garden.  It's great if you have a low maintenance area with shade and don't mind a spreader which can be very vigorous/invasive if happy.  Might be best contained in a pot.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/139696/i-Carex-i-Ice-Dance-(v)/Details 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • TimmyMagicTimmyMagic Greater LondonPosts: 132
    Obelixx said:
    Looks a lot like carex Ice Dance which I had in my last garden.  It's great if you have a low maintenance area with shade and don't mind a spreader which can be very vigorous/invasive if happy.  Might be best contained in a pot.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/139696/i-Carex-i-Ice-Dance-(v)/Details 
    Yes it does look a lot like that.

My neighbour has it at the edge of her pond and it's in a sunny spot. She said it's invasive, which is why I wanted to double check with your kind folks. 

I'll find a spot for it.

She will be pleased to know what it' called too, so thanks!
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,134
    I rue the day I ever planted that Ice Dance in my garden,  spreads everywhere, you can pull off the new shoots if you catch them quick enough. 
    I gave one to @Hostafan1 at the time, I don’t know how he’s getting on with it.😱

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,264
    Lyn said:
    I rue the day I ever planted that Ice Dance in my garden,  spreads everywhere, you can pull off the new shoots if you catch them quick enough. 
    I gave one to @Hostafan1 at the time, I don’t know how he’s getting on with it.😱

I split in two and they're V happy thanks. X

Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,544
    edited April 2021
    I first planted mine in a prominent position but found it not attractive enough and a serious spreader.  However, I was very happy to plant it as ground cover in the far corner of our garden in amongst a couple of trees and loads of shrubs.   Good performer there and good cover for small critters but not for a small garden.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • TimmyMagicTimmyMagic Greater LondonPosts: 132
    Thanks everyone. I've put it in a large pot until I decide where it'll be best. Or maybe I'll keep it in the pot.