Forum home Plants

Moving Rose Trees

peweukpeweuk Posts: 33
We have 2 rose trees in the garden which are approx 1.5 metres high and have been there for almost 4 years.
We will be moving in the autumn (August/Sept) and want to take the trees with us.
We will need to pot them as they will not go in to the new garden until next spring.
When would be the best time to take them out and pot them ready for the move, should we do it now before the growing season gets fully underway, or leave it until August.

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,307
    You should have done when they were dormant...then it would be easier. But after four years there will be quite a root ball to try and take out. Are they that rare that it's worth damaging them now that they're at full flow and getting ready to bloom? The later you leave it the least the possibility to succeed having lots of heat and the possibility of drying out. As long as you know the dangers and you're prepared to look after them until they get replanted it looks like you've made your mind up. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • peweukpeweuk Posts: 33
    You should have done when they were dormant...then it would be easier. But after four years there will be quite a root ball to try and take out. Are they that rare that it's worth damaging them now that they're at full flow and getting ready to bloom? The later you leave it the least the possibility to succeed having lots of heat and the possibility of drying out. As long as you know the dangers and you're prepared to look after them until they get replanted it looks like you've made your mind up. 
    Unfortunately, it was only last week we were given an offer to move and decided to take it up, and the move has to be in August/Sept.
    The plants were gifts from my mother to my wife for her 60th and my mother has since died, so they have sentimental value.
    The timing is unfortunate but we would be sorry to leave them behind.
    So seems your view is they are more likely to survive if we potted them now rather than in the Autumn.
  • OmoriOmori North YorkshirePosts: 1,659
    Could you please post a photo? That would help in giving correct advice. 
    It's understandable we all have some kind of sentimental attachment to a gift. But at least the roses you should be able to replace them with another example trained the same way if they fail to transplant. I agree a photo would help see the relative size of the plant. But good luck with it. 
    These are the two patio trees
    They have mercifully little growth...wonder how compacted the ground is. But reckon worth a try. Let's see what other forum denizens think. 
    They have mercifully little growth...wonder how compacted the ground is. But reckon worth a try. Let's see what other forum denizens think. 
    The ground has very little topsoil and the substrate clay which is quite dry at present.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,661
    Worth a try seeing as they're of sentimental value, as soon as you can before they get into full growth. For the first one you might have to sacrifice the plants growing nearby to get a decent rootball. Give them a really good water the evening before you lift them, use containers that are big enough to fit the roots in without folding them up and preferably something like a JI No 2 or 3 compost. If they survive I would wait until winter when they've gone dormant to plant them in their new homes, to avoid a second stressful replanting.