Forum home Plants

Sprouting Dahlias

justflowersjustflowers Posts: 123
I stored my Dahlia tubers over winter and potted them up on 27th March, along with two dahlias belonging to my son and five new tubers which were a gift to my daughter.  I've stored them in my shed, which has some, but not much, light from a window. All of the tubers seemed to be healthy, however none of them have yet sprouted and I'm concerned that I've done something wrong.  I used a standard peat free compost to pot them and didn't water the pots as I know they can rot easily.  I did water the pots at the weekend though as they were starting to feel rather dry.  Do I just need to be patient or should I be doing something else?  I am more concerned as the plants are not all mine!  Any advice would be welcome!

• RuthmshawRuthmshaw EssexPosts: 41
    Bring them indoors and put them somewhere light and warm. I started mine off indoors and when they sprouted transferred 2 to the shed where they have not put on any more growth and the rest in a plastic greenhouse where they are making good progress. I think light is your issue.
  • justflowersjustflowers Posts: 123
    Thanks @Ruthmshaw - I will give that a try.  Fingers crossed!
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,294
    Normally I do the Sarah raven method,pot up in March, exclude light, I cover the pots with a plant pot saucer, leave them in a frost free green house for 10 days,have a peek if no growth, repeat.Hubby did them this year left uncovered,they are nowhere as wet advanced
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,649
    My new ones are also in the shed and potted up late March. They've just started sprouting in the last few days. It's been pretty cold so I think that's held them back, but I don't have space in the house to force them into faster growth (and no greenhouse) so slow and steady it is. I did threaten them with @Nanny Beach 's dark treatment but it turned out not to be necessary.
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Wind and westher in the south is supposed to turn next weekend - so hopefully things will warm up and speed up after that.
    Thanks all - I will move them to the greenhouse floor - providing other half has left any room! - otherwise a spare bedroom. Again, fingers crossed!
  • PrunusPrunus Northern IrelandPosts: 4
    I should have read these posts before starting my dahlia tubers in pots. Lots of grit and free draining but I evidently still gave them too much water, and some of the tubers have rotted. Is there any chance that I still might get dahlias from the remaining tubers that didn't rot?
    Yes I think you do still have a chance  - except for 3, mine have all sprouted now and some of them only in the last couple of days, which is a great relief. Just don't over water and keep them somewhere warm.  Good luck!!
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Prunus said:
    I should have read these posts before starting my dahlia tubers in pots. Lots of grit and free draining but I evidently still gave them too much water, and some of the tubers have rotted. Is there any chance that I still might get dahlias from the remaining tubers that didn't rot?

If you think of the conjoined bunch of tubers as a bunch of sausages, it's likely that some of the sausages are fine. When you pot on, just cut off the rotten ones. As long as you have a sprout and some tuber, you will get a result.