Forum home Plants

Too late to plant dahlia tubers in pots?

Hi there, I'd like to try growing dahlias from tubers in pots this year, but have been very late to order them so will probably only be planting them in the next couple of weeks - is this too late? Have I missed the boat for this year? From a quick search I can see that I really should've planted them in late March/early April, but am hoping it still might be worth a try...any advice?

• justflowersjustflowers Posts: 123
    I don't think it's too late, and planting them is a better option than trying to store the tubers until next early Spring.  You may find they flower later than they might have if planted early, but, given that they will continue flowering until the frosts come, you should still have plenty of blooms to enjoy. Good luck!
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,299
    I have just had 5 beauties delivered from Farmer Gracey yesterday and potted them up.. They arrived pretty quickly,s lot of the ones I have are now out of stock where did you order then from. Maybe they will grow even quicker with it being a bit warmer.Mostly I get them from Lidl and Wilko and they have been excellent
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,472
    If they look very shrivelled, give them a soak in lukewarm water for an hour before potting. Then pot, water once to settle the compost, put in a warm place and you should soon have shoots. Then water and feed as normal.  Do not overwater until shoots are actively growing.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,018
    My dahlias have been in pots in the greenhouse for weeks and most of them are only just starting to show decent signs of growth as it's been such a chilly Spring. The ones you've bought should soon catch up (if it ever warms up !)  :)
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,318
    It's still only April. 
    Tons of time .
    Devon.
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,742
    Mine have been in pots in the greenhouse over Winter.  Your post reminded me to look at them, and they are only just showing tiny shoots today.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,577
    Mine are still in the furnace room in storage lots of time yet.
  • I have planted Dahlia tubers in May and this year it's best to start later. My advice is start them off in pots indoors for consistent temperature - it will get them going quicker. Put them outside when you have new growth assuming weather is warmer in a few weeks.
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,591
    Not too late at all. Mine won't be going into their pots until the tulips come out - probably in another week or so. In the meantime they are in dry compost next to the window in the outhouse.
  • Thanks so much everyone, really reassuring to know I haven’t missed the boat altogether! I’ll get them potted up ASAP & keep in the shed to start with to get them going quickly - hopefully that’ll do the trick!