Forum home Plants

Cosmos, what now?

DitsyDitsy LondonPosts: 169
So some of my seeds have germinated. Please can someone tell me what to do with them now. Do they want to go on a sunny windowsill? I suspect that will be too hot. I don't have a shed or greenhouse to put them in.

I have been putting them under my SAD lamp for about 6 hours a day.

Thanks in advance.

• BiljeBilje Posts: 725
    Sorry I don’t know what a SAD lamp is? They need a lot of light otherwise they’ll get more and more leggy. Mine were on a south facing windowsill and I turned the tray daily. 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,461
    Thin them to one plant per module. In the daytime, put them outside if you can, but protect from high winds. When the roots fill each module, pot them on into 3 or 4 inch pots. Pinch out the tops when they have three pairs of leaves.  Keep doing the hokey cokey with them until the frosts are all gone, and you can plant them in the ground.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,294
    Don't thin them out or put outside yet,get them in the windowsill and turn them regularly,I turn mine 3 times a day
  • justflowersjustflowers Posts: 123
    They are looking a bit leggy - I don't know what a SAD lamp is either, but I don't think it's helping them to grow healthily, so I would move them to a windowsill and, as others have said, turn them regularly. Good luck!
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,294
    SAD,lamp for people suffering from lack of sunlight causing depression, SEASONAL AFFECTED DISORDER,it won't have the correct colours spectrum for plant growth
  • DitsyDitsy LondonPosts: 169
    Thanks for the replies. They are now sunbathing on the windowsill.