Forum home The potting shed

Rotation of Images

I'm using a Win10 Desktop PC.

On the PC images are upright and don't require rotating.

When i upload them onto this forum they are automatically rotated clockwise and are displayed on their side.

How do i put this right?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,834
    There’s a recent glitch snd the Mods are aware. In the meantime photos taken in landscape format load the right way up. If your photo is in portrait format just edit it by cropping it a tiny bit and it will upload 😊 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thank you

• M33R4M33R4 Posts: 291
    I've resized to half its original size and the pics are still uploading sideways?
    I wish I could garden all year round!
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,415
    Try cropping a tiny sliver off one edge.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,747
    I reduce the pixel size on mine rather than just cropping the physical size. Much easier. It brings them down to around 1MB or less, depending on the original pic, and I can just go back and amend again if they're still a bit big. 
    For example - if a pic is 4300 pixels, I change the 4 to a 1 and save.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • M33R4M33R4 Posts: 291
    Fairygirl said:
    I reduce the pixel size on mine rather than just cropping the physical size. Much easier. It brings them down to around 1MB or less, depending on the original pic, and I can just go back and amend again if they're still a bit big. 
    For example - if a pic is 4300 pixels, I change the 4 to a 1 and save.  :)

Using the recommended Simple Image Resizer online software.

When you upload the image there, it doesn't give you the original image's pixel dimension so can't really use the resize by pixel option. So, I am using the reducing by % and despite going down to 25% of the original, it's still loading sideways on here  :neutral:

I wish I could garden all year round!
  • LG_LG_ Posts: 4,343
    Cropping (not reducing), even just a few pixels from one edge, always works for me. It's easy because the photos are on my phone and I'm using the site on my phone, so I literally hit Edit - Crop - and drag a usually invisible amount off the side. Done. 
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • TheGreenManTheGreenMan Posts: 1,957
    It’s a smartphone Vs online forum thing. Happens on a lot of forums. 

It’s to do with EXIF data being read incorrectly or at the wrong stage of the upload. 

You need to click Edit on the picture and crop it the smallest you can manage and then save. It will then upload correctly. 
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Not a problem on my iPad,  which I use for photos, (no camera)
    portraits turn in posting landscape doesn’t,  mine are 6mb. 
    Most people use a phone now and automatically keep it in the portrait position. 
    If you preview before posting you can see what’s happened and cut the edges off a bit, usually works. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.