Forum home Plants

Plants and nurseries

granmagranma Posts: 1,929
I have visited just two nurseries in the last week basically for certain plants achileas   .their was hardly anything and I wonder if this is not a case I'm too early but is it because they are from  other countries?

• rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 814
    All nurseries are experiencing high demand, often outstripping supply. I have a wholesale account and they are reporting even retail outlets are now buying from them rather than direct from the suppliers in order to keep their garden centres stocked. Supply from EU countries, where many plants are grown, is also affected.

Nurseries with online shops may be your best bet e.g. Hardy's Cottage Garden Plants, Claire Austin, Cotswold Garden Flowers, etc. Perhaps look up the plant you after on the RHS Plant Finder and see which nurseries stock it? An alternative is to grow it from seed. Try Chiltern Seeds, Plant World Seeds or Special Plants.
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,996
    One of the Nurseries at the Plant Hunters Fair yesterday had a very good selection of Achilleas. John Cullen Gardens has the National collection. they g to some of the Fairs.

• didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,591
    I looked at the Beth Chatto online shop yesterday - so many things labelled as propagating or growing on.  So maybe a bit early.  Thanks for the link to John Cullen Palustris - a new one on me.  I love achilleas too. I have 3 achillea Moonshine bought from the Secret Gardening Club last year that never stopped flowering - even in the snow! They are flowering still and have made lovely sturdy plants.