Forum home Plants

Roof battens

peteSpeteS Posts: 870
There are a raft of old roof battens which are used under the slates/tiles, being taken off some 1930's properties near me at the moment, and I am curious to know if anyone had ever used such things to make a trellis. They look ideal, but I was wondering if they would be sufficiently weatherproof to use in such a way. Cheers. 

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,996
    edited April 2021
    All the trellis work in our previous garden was made from Roofing laths. I painted them all with green wood preserving paint. Took some doing as there was a kilometre of fencing in the garden.
  • peteSpeteS Posts: 870
    Thanks all...very useful to know. I think I will go and ask someone very nicely.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    Always use roof batten and paint before making up. Touching up cut ends when assembled 

• nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 1,250
    I'll predict that their lifespan will be on the short side.  The battens will have been 'cooked' repeatedly in summers, thus tending to make them super absorbent.  I salvaged all the stuff when we had our 1982 place re-roofed a few years back.  The timber came in very useful and lasted a few years but, as a trellis, you'll be thinking more long term?  My bonus was saving all the galvanised nails that are still as good as the day they were put in
  • peteSpeteS Posts: 870
    Good points @nick615...I have salvaged enough to make a trellis now, and they are very weathered looking but very dry, so I'll keep them under cover until I get round to painting some preservative into them, which could be a long job.