Forum home Plants

Ivy root has got to go

Hi there 

I managed to finally kill off my ivy about a year ago and am left with this ugly looking root/stump. How can I best remove this? I tried using a small hacksaw and didn’t get anywhere. Seems over kill but I think I need a power tool! I was going to go to a power tool shop and ask but thought I’d check in on a forum first before parting with my cash! Thanks 😊 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,139
    Don't buy a power tool for one job ... you can hire them.  Better still get someone in who has the right equipment to do the job.  Power tools can be dangerous if you've not been taught how to use them and don't have the right protective equipment.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pippippippip Posts: 24

I can’t work out from the picture where/what bit is growing out of the soil /where you’d cut it.

I wouldn’t use a power tool or what you’d use anyway. It’d be expensive but also dangerous with all those stones - hit one and can damage the machine blade / chain or they can fly up and hit you.

What about a pruning saw and they cut on the pull - buy or try borrowing one.  Make sure you clear the cutting area of grit / stones and soil to avoid damaging the blade.

• ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 2,035
    Have you got a mattock? That’s my usual go to tool for jobs like that.