Forum home Plants

Help with my Choisya Ternata

RubiksRubiks Posts: 25
Hi,

I planted a choisya ternata last spring, and while it hasn't grown much, it is growing very very slowly.  I've just noticed that it seems to be browning and curling in the last few days.  I watered it every couple of days last week, so I wondered if I've overdone it? Or have I not been doing it enough, as it's been quite dry recently?

Any advice is welcome :)

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,360
    Is it Choisya "Sundance" which is supposed to be yellow? It's best to give it a good soak once a week. It is quite good at managing drought so I think every 2 days is too much. How much do you give it each time? Have you had heavy frosts? It likes a sheltered place.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • RubiksRubiks Posts: 25
    Is it Choisya "Sundance" which is supposed to be yellow? It's best to give it a good soak once a week. It is quite good at managing drought so I think every 2 days is too much. How much do you give it each time? Have you had heavy frosts? It likes a sheltered place.
    Yep, it's a Sundance!

Ok that makes sense, I was soaking it for about 5-10 seconds each time, so I've probably been drowning it :( there haven't been any heavy frosts, we've had no rainfall and hot temperatures for about 10 days now. 

When people say soak them, what does that mean e.g. how long for? I see these terms but don't really know what it means haha. I have a photinia red robin which was starting to droop because of lack of water, which made me think I should be watering them all as they're only a year old. Oops!

I'll give it a week before watering and then try your method :) thank you
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,360
    A good soak is about a 10L watering can full. It's hard to tell just by running a hose pipe on it unless you know how long it takes to fill your can from a hosepipe.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • RubiksRubiks Posts: 25
    A good soak is about a 10L watering can full. It's hard to tell just by running a hose pipe on it unless you know how long it takes to fill your can from a hosepipe.
    Thank you, I'll try use the watering can next time!