Forum home Plants

What to do with this African Lilly

leeali86leeali86 Posts: 71
Just wanted some advice on this African Lilly as it’s not looking heathy? 

• leeali86leeali86 Posts: 71
    leeali86 said:
    Just wanted some advice on this African Lilly as it’s not looking heathy? 

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,307
    It looks like a miniscule bed that agapanthus is growing in. Presumably an evergreen variety that just looks tired from the harsh winter we've had? If that was mine I'd investigate splitting it if it has been in the ground for a number of years and also would remove some grass and double the depth of that border, nothing will be happy long term with such lack of space and direct competition from the grass. I grow mine in pots and had my two evergreen ones in a cold frame so they look a bit tired but not as floppy as the one in the photo. Have you been watering around the garden? At least in London it has been very dry, everything has been thirsty.  
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • leeali86leeali86 Posts: 71
    It looks like a miniscule bed that agapanthus is growing in. Presumably an evergreen variety that just looks tired from the harsh winter we've had? If that was mine I'd investigate splitting it if it has been in the ground for a number of years and also would remove some grass and double the depth of that border, nothing will be happy long term with such lack of space and direct competition from the grass. I grow mine in pots and had my two evergreen ones in a cold frame so they look a bit tired but not as floppy as the one in the photo. Have you been watering around the garden? At least in London it has been very dry, everything has been thirsty.  
    Yes we were making plans to extend the border so you mentioning it has confirmed that we need to, am I able to prune/cut the dead tips of the leaf or should I leave it be. Don’t think I’m confident in splitting as I’m   Still a beginner lol 
    thank you for the advice.
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,307
    I'd let it recover, make sure you water it well. If it's an evergreen variety they tend to look a bit shabby early in the season, should start growing and looking better when it gets warmer. Tiny borders tend to such an issue with most gardens in this country, all to the altar of a boring lawn ;) 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow