Forum home The potting shed

Dobies not the service I'm used to

2»

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,942
    Does this mean that Suttons is now T&M? I had a very small order from them recently and they warned me that delivery could be slow, it was, very, but the plants were well packed and healthy. I, too, have been sorry to see the demise of T&M.
  • KiliKili Posts: 794
    I wouldn't expect God to deliver Impatiens plug plants by post in good condition! I'm amazed that any firm would even contemplate doing so - it's been down below 0C here in the South of England every night in April and wrapped up no doubt in polythene, Busy Lizzies will damp off soon as look at them. I might be tempted by trusted courier but even they are having Covid overload problems. Soft stuff and plugs - go pick them up or forget it and grow your own.
    That said - I mourn the loss of T&M's great name - years ago Dobbies was a cheapskate bucket shop run out of warehouses that also filled packets for other well known brand names. Dobbies sold seeds and nothing else, I used them virtually exclusively and they never failed. Thompson & Morgan of Ipswich was almost like a branch of the RHS! I felt as if I should doff my cap before asking for a catalogue - and what a tome it used to be! They had a standing menu of thousands and would do their best to obtain any seed from anywhere - those days have gone. Sadly. 

If you have a bad delivery - damaged, stuff missing or totally unfulfilled - DON'T put up with it! PLAGUE the supplier until you get your promised goods or a FULL refund.

My professional website is still up and pretty regularly I get erroneous contact page complaints from America - where a nursery firm has "borrowed" part of my firm's name - so many dissatisfied customers! If it wasn't for Mr Biden's Special Relationship tax a bio regulations - I could easily have a new business.   

Whichever fictitious character from the Dark Ages was offering plants for sale online I would expect him/her/it to deliver what they promised in good order no matter what plant it is. 

"go pick them up or forget it and grow your own"

I do grow 95% of what I put out each year. An offer came into my mailbox so thought I would give impatiens a go as I had never had them before. Your assumption that one can just "go pick them up" assumes that we all live near a garden centre growing the  plant in question. Hence the online order as there are none available where I live on a small island off the French coast.

It will definitely be impatiens from seed next year if I like how they perform this year.

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

Posy said:
    Does this mean that Suttons is now T&M? I had a very small order from them recently and they warned me that delivery could be slow, it was, very, but the plants were well packed and healthy. I, too, have been sorry to see the demise of T&M.

Hi Posy, yes, as far as I'm aware Dobies  and Suttons are now part of T&M.

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• BraidmanBraidman Posts: 204
    T & M used to have " guardians" posted on here to deal with complaints, some times they were very quick at answering and getting problems sorted out!

Ps there are Dobies seeds Devon and also Dobbies garden centres Scotland, good plants but incredibly expensive!
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 894
    Not being a customer of these firms any more because of disappointment in the past, it may be a case of old fashioned service levels not being sustainable in a modern market?  If the bank balance dips, there's often a frantic period of trying to keep afloat before eventual collapse.  In all walks of life, just think of the old brands that have disappeared in the last decade or so?
    edited April 2021
    nick615 said:
    Not being a customer of these firms any more because of disappointment in the past, it may be a case of old fashioned service levels not being sustainable in a modern market?  If the bank balance dips, there's often a frantic period of trying to keep afloat before eventual collapse.  In all walks of life, just think of the old brands that have disappeared in the last decade or so?

I don't believe its anything to do with service levels old fashioned or otherwise. I believe  its a case of the wrong procedures put in place prior to and at despatch. In my case the plants were clearly despatched to early and arrived dry.

Take a cutting stick it in some compost, water it and put a plastic bag over it and seal with a rubber band. It literally wont need watering again for months as the water is literally recycled within the sealed environment.

There plug plants  are shipped in plastic containers which allow the water to evaporate. Plug plants have tiny root systems the whole plug plant being contained in compost no more than an inch square. If watered correctly before despatch and then placed in a water tight sealed tray they should stay moist for weeks allowing for any delays in transit, but for some reason there does not seem to be a shipping tray for plug plants that can do this as they arrive dry. Putting aside exceptions such as being placed near a heat source during transit I don't understand why there is not a plug plant tray designed to seal the environment during transit.

There maybe a technical reason why there isn't a plug plant container that can stay sealed whilst in transit to the customer, but I cant think of it aside from possibly oxygen levels.

Maybe there's some expertise on the forums that could explain why this wont/should work?

George Bernard Shaw'

edited April 2021
    Lol... it just gets better and better. I emailed today to ask when the rest of my order would be despatched and.....

"Thank you for your email.

Due to an increased demand for Gardening related products, we are receiving a higher volume of emails than expected. We are working extremely hard to reply as quickly as possible and anticipate responding to your message within 9 days.

Thank you for your patience.

With best regards,
    Customer Care Team"

Yes that's right 9 days to answer an email. No more online orders for me. How do these people stay in business.

I do know the last email I got came from a Suttons email address so who knows who is dealing with this now.

C'est La Vie

George Bernard Shaw'