yew-looking-unhealthy

Seemm to have a yew suffering from something up to around 3 months ago it was in a big pot and was transplanted into the garden in admittedly fairly clay soil.

It was doing fine but over the last couple of weeks it has started to go yellow and some branches are brown. Any idea what may be wrong with it and what it needs. It did get a dose of lime a few weeks ago from the farmer spreading it on his meadow which blew into the garden might that be making it sick?

• waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,221

I believe that yew trees don't like to get their feet wet, so it might be waterlogged in the clay.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 20,247

Think I'd agree with waterbutts blackest.They can cope with pollution and all sorts of things but they like good drainage.

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

I was imagining Blackest in Ireland and trying to remember the Irish weather of my holidays. I don't remember any droughts.image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,510

if it's been in a pot of compost it might be struggling to make headway, (or rootway) into the clay. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 20,247

Sorry Verd- agreeing with wb again!!! image 

Irish weather very much like Scotland's - we don't get a lot of droughts either!

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• blackestblackest Posts: 623

in the last month it's been raining fairly regularly (not continually) but we did get into a drought the preceeding month which did dry out the soil in places. 

its called Taxus Baccata or common yew

A very diplomatic answer, if I may say so!image